04
July
2019
|
05:19
Australia/Melbourne

Brimbank backs calls for state-wide waste management policy

Summary

Brimbank Council will write to the Victorian Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change to call for the development of a state-wide waste management policy.

In writing to the Hon. Lily D’Ambrosio MP, Council will ask the Victorian Government to implement all 22 recommendations contained in the Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO) Independent Assurance Report to Parliament, ‘Recovering and Reprocessing Resources from Waste’.

Mayor of Brimbank, Cr Lucinda Congreve said there had been no state-wide waste management policy since 2014.

“We’ll be writing to the Minister to implement the recommendations of the VAGO report, and specifically to request the urgent development of a state-wide waste management policy and allocation of funds from the Sustainability Fund.

“Without a state-wide policy, environment agencies have not been able to effectively prioritise their limited time and resources. Roles and responsibilities are unclear.

“In addition, sufficient markets and infrastructure have not been effectively planned to manage the state’s waste. This is not good enough,” Cr Congreve said.

In moving the notice of motion to write to Minister D’Ambrosio at Brimbank Ordinary Council Meeting on 25 June 2019, Cr Virginia Tachos said Council and the community was looking for confidence in the recycling industry.

“In 2016/2017 Victorians generated and managed almost 12.9 million tonnes of waste, of which metropolitan Melbourne accounted for about 80 per cent. Sustainability Victoria estimated that Victorians recovered 67 per cent of waste generated for recycling, and sent the remaining 33 per cent to landfill.

“Our community – like others across the state and the nation – invest their time in separating bottles, papers and other recyclables. We need to be confident that these materials are being properly recycled.

“We need leadership from the State, and we need to see the Sustainability Fund – which is designed to support best practice in waste management – to be allocated to tackle the stockpiling issues currently facing the industry, rather than sitting idly as it currently is,” Cr Tachos said.

Cr Kim Thien Truong said: “It’s not sustainable to continue to rely on landfill. We need leadership and we need action on tackling this state and nation-wide issue now.”

The ‘Recovering and Reprocessing Resources from Waste’ VAGO Report examined whether responsible agencies are providing strategic direction, support and effective regulation in order to maximise the recovery and reprocessing of resources from Victoria’s waste streams.