Brimbank Buzz - News and What's On, Tuesday 24 November 2015
• Carols at the Castle - Line-up Announced
• Brimbank Australia Day Awards - Nominations closing!
• No Charge Water Safety Lessons
• Bargain Books at Brimbank Libraries Book Sale
• Brimbank Votes
Carols at the Castle 2015, Sunday 20 December, 7–9pm
Carols at the Castle is a much-anticipated outdoor, family-friendly event set in the beautiful gardens of Overnewton Castle.
This year's impressive line-up of performers are
- Jamie Robertson (MC) - Television actor, comedian and Sunshine local
- John James O’Hara - musical theatre star
- The Candy Topps - three delightful ladies of song with harmonies that wow
- The Mudcakes - hugely popular kids’ duo
- Glee Club Sing-a-long Choir - fabulous choir of singers from across Melbourne
- Tim Paige - resident swing-man, and cabaret performer
- Sheridan Adams - stunning local rising star
- Paige Elliot Phoenix - musician, past X Factor contestant, and Sunshine local
- Tyson Legg and the Carols House Band
Hot food, alcohol and other refreshments will be available for purchase.
51 Overnewton Road
Brimbank Australia Day Awards - Nominations close 27 November
Time's running out to get your nominations in!
If you know an inspiring individual or a community group who deserve to be awarded for their outstanding contribution to Brimbank, nominate them for a 2016 Brimbank Australia Day Award!
These awards celebrate our community heroes both great and modest.
The 2016 award categories are:
- Citizen of the Year
- Young Citizen of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement
- Community Wellbeing
- Environmental Achievement
- Cultural Achievement
- Essential Services Excellence
- Educator of the Year
Nominating is easy! Just complete a simple form available online. For more information visit our Australia Day on Brimbank Buzz page.
Winners will be recognised at a celebratory event in January 2016. Nominations close on 27 November 2015.
No Charge Water Safety Lessons
During Water Safety Week, Sunday 29 November–Sunday 6 December, St Albans Leisure Centre will offer no charge 45-minute water safety sessions designed for families with children under the age of four. Adults and children will be required to get in the pool.
Bookings: St Albans Leisure Centre, 9249 4635
During Water Safety Week, there will be water safety displays and information available.
Bargain Books at Brimbank Libraries Book Sale, Saturday 28 November, 1–4pm
Brimbank Libraries are having a book sale at Sunshine Library! A variety of pre-loved library books will be for sale fo no more than $2 each!
All proceeds go to the Brimbank Community Fund.
Where: Sunshine Library, McCracken Street, Sunshine
There less than a year to go until the Brimbank City Council elections will be held on Saturday 22 October 2016.
It will be your responsibility to elect Councillors for the first elected Brimbank Council after a seven-year period of administration.
Eleven elected Councillors will form the Council, which will be responsible for making decisions in the best interests of the Brimbank community, considering both the immediate and long term impacts.
The election will be conducted by postal vote.
If you will be 18 years or over on election day, are an Australian citizen and you live or are a ratepayer in Brimbank, then you will be eligible to vote.
Interested in Standing for Council?
If you’re interested in becoming a Councillor you need to be:
- 18 years or over on election day;
- an Australian citizen; and
- enrolled as a resident or ratepayer of the City of Brimbank.
Key responsibilities of the Council are in the areas of:
- strategic planning for the whole municipality and a sustainable future
- advocacy on a broad range of issues
- coordination with other spheres of government, the private sector, non-government and community sectors
- facilitation of community participation
- employment of the Chief Executive Officer.
A key responsibility of individual Councillors is to represent all citizens of the city and to participate in decision-making by the Council.
Information Sessions For Interested Candidates
The Victorian Local Governance Association will conduct candidate information sessions on behalf of Brimbank City Council for individuals interested in becoming a Councillor.
The last session in November is Monday 30th. For details of the session, including time and venue, visit Brimbank Votes or phone 9249 4000 to register.
The sessions will be presented again in March 2016. The sessions will be delivered in two parts (four hours each).
- Part A – Should I be a candidate?
- Part B – How do I become a candidate?
For more information about the elections and standing for Council, visit Brimbank Votes.