How to Apply for an Asset Protection Permit

Asset Protection

Our General Local Laws 2018 require an Asset Protection Permit to be obtained for:

  • Building works exceeding $20,000
  • Any Demolition works.

You must lodge a bond with us before any works commence at the building site.

To ensure our assets on building sites are maintained, all owners, builders, and agents must get an Asset Protection Permit and lodge an Asset Protection Security Bond before your work commences.

A building site must also have the following in place, before any building works start:

  • Fences and gates of no less than 1.5m high made of chain wire, with gates to only open inward
  • Access to site via an approved vehicle crossing
  • Chemical or sewered toilet system
  • Closed rubbish container of 1m3 (minimum) for builders’ rubbish; skip bins are not allowed outside the property/building site boundary.

Our Local Laws also state you must:

  • Prevent all materials used in the clean-up/wash down of buildings and equipment from being discharged off-site and entering stormwater drains
  • Prevent all delivery vehicles from depositing mud, sand, soil or stones onto the road.

If you fail to comply with our Local Laws, you may be fined up to $1000.


  • Asset Protection Permit fee: $214

Security Bond Costs – Allotments

  • Residential single street allotment: $1,000
  • Residential corner allotment: $1,500
  • Industrial/Commercial single allotment: $1,500
  • Industrial/Commercial corner allotment: $2,000

Security Bond Costs – Demolition/Construction

  • Demolition works: $1,500
  • Residential demolition and new construction: $1,500
  • Industrial/ commercial demolition and new construction: $2,000

Internal Review of Penalty Infringement/Fine

Only one application can be made for each infringement offence. Each application is judged on a case-by-case basis. We can choose to withdraw an infringement notice, and issue an official warning instead.

If the decision to issue an infringement notice is confirmed, you’ll be notified of the payment date. If you disagree with initial fine you may also refer the matter to the Magistrate’s Court.

You may apply for an internal review of an infringement (fine) at any time:

  • Before the offence is lodged with the Court
  • Before the expiry of the period for bringing a proceeding to Court in relation to the offence.

If you refer the decision to the Magistrates' Court while our internal review is underway, we’ll immediately cancel our review.

Applications for internal review must:

  • Be in writing – dated and signed
  • State the grounds for review
  • Provide current address
  • Contain letter of consent, or evidence of consent, if done on behalf of a third party.

Grounds for Review

  • If you (the applicant) believe the decision to serve the fine was contrary to law
  • Insufficient evidence
  • Mistaken identity
  • Proof of address change
  • Proof of ownership change
  • Proof of having been overseas or interstate
  • Any other special circumstance.

We will not give consideration to applicants where:

  • You were unaware of Local Law
  • Offence or activity caused risk
  • Council property has been damaged
  • Ignorance (i.e. you didn’t know).

Post Your Written Applications for Review

Infringement Review Officer
Engineering Services
PO Box 70
Sunshine 3020