That’s right, nominations for Brimbank’s 2016 Australia Day Awards are now open and you have until 5pm Friday 27 November 2015 to get your nomination forms in.
Each year Brimbank City Council invites nominations for these prestigious awards which are presented to local deserving individuals and groups who have made an outstanding contribution to the Brimbank community.
Chair of Brimbank Administrators, Mr John Watson encouraged community members to nominate the people and groups they feel deserved recognition. “Previous award winners have been nominated for a variety of reasons; some for a lifetime of community service, others for their contribution to a particular group of residents or a special project.
“These awards celebrate our community heroes both great and modest. It's an opportunity to publicly recognise and celebrate the work and achievements of those deserving people in our community”, Mr Watson said.
Who is eligible to be nominated?
For the Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year nominees must reside in the Brimbank Local Government area. Other categories are open to residents of Brimbank or individuals and groups who conduct their activities within the Brimbank Local Government area.
What are the Award Categories?
- Citizen of the Year Award: To be eligible, the person must be
- 26 years or over as at 26 January 2016;
- an Australian Citizen as at 27 November 2015; and
- have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year/or have given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
- Download a Citizen of the Year Award Nomination Form (351KB).
- Young Citizen of the Year Award: To be eligible, the person must be
- aged 16-25 years as at 26 January 2016,
- an Australia Citizen as 27 November 2015; and
- have made a noteworthy contribution during the current year and/or have given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.'
- Download a Young Citizen of the Year Award Nomination Form (352KB).
- Community Wellbeing Award: Presented to an individual or group for creating sustainable, connected, supported and welcoming communities. Download a Community Wellbeing Award Nomination Form (352KB).
- Environmental Achievement Award: Presented to an individual or group who has demonstrated passion for the environment and for efforts contributing towards conservation, preservation, protection, replenishment and education. Download an Environmental Achievement Award Nomination Form (352KB).
- Cultural Achievement Award: This award recognises the work or contribution by individuals or groups involved in the city’s rich cultural and arts communities. Download a Cultural Achievement Award Nomination Form (353KB).
- Educator of the Year Award: Presented to an individual recognising inspiring contributions to learning and education within Brimbank. Download a Educator of the Year Award Nomination Form (349KB).
- Essential Services Excellence Award: This new award category recognises an individual or group for their outstanding contribution to the community in the field of community or emergency services. This award may also take into account acts of compassions, generosity or bravery. Download an Essential Services Excellence Award Nomination Form (353KB).
- Lifetime Achievement Award: This new award category recognises an exceptional organisation (or individual in exceptional cases) that have made an contribution to the Brimbank community in any field, including community service, conservation, culture, education, environment, cultural diversity, visual and/or performing arts and may also take into account acts of compassions, generosity or bravery. Download a Lifetime Achievement Award Nomination Form (351KB).
How does someone become nominated?
Anyone can nominate by completing the appropriate category nomination form and returning the form marked ‘Confidential’ Australia Day Awards, to
Media and Communications
Brimbank City Council
PO Box 70
An individual or group may be nominated in one category only. All nominations must have two nominators and submit the required documentation addressing all areas of the selection criteria. The nominee must sign an agreement.
The judging panel have the discretion to move nominations between categories.
Nominations close 5pm Friday 27 November 2015.
For more information please call the Civic Events and Engagement Coordinator on 9249 4000 or email email@example.com.