Get the Buzz - News and What's On, Tuesday 10 October 2017
• No Charge Snake Catching Service
• 2017 Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival
• Apply for a Seniors Groups Grant
• Have Your Say - Community Consultations
• Announcements - Rates Notice
No Charge Snake Catching Service
If you find yourself faced with a snake on your property, you can call our snake catching service at no charge.
It's is available to residential properties in Brimbank and has been introduced in response to community feedback.
The service is available seven days a week, including after hours by calling 9249 4000.
If you see a snake, stay calm, walk away safely – taking any pets with you - call Council and be sure to keep an eye on the snake from a safe distance.
When a call is received the aim is to have a snake catcher on hand as quickly as possible.
Tips to deter snakes from entering your property:
- Cleaning up around your house. Keep your grass and lawns cut short.
- Don’t leave stacks of timber or sheets of iron lying about.
- Keep grain or pet food storage areas clean and tidy. These attract mice, which are a snake’s favoured food.
- Ensure garden rockeries and ferneries are clear and tidy. These are cool places that attract snakes on warm days.
- Avoid walking around your backyard in bare feet.
- Wear leg protection on hot nights and use a torch (Tiger snakes in particular become nocturnal in very hot weather and it is then that they are harder to see. Pets, particularly cats, are vulnerable to being bitten at this time).
Snakes are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975. It’s illegal to capture, kill or harm them.
For more information about the service see our Snake Information page or call 9249 4000.
2017 Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival
The annual Brimbank Writers and Readers Festival encourages a love for reading and literature, celebrates creativity and diversity, and promotes lifelong learning in our city.
The 2017 Festival ‘program’ is out now. There is no charge to attend festival events.
For bookings or more information visit our Writers Festival web page, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9249 4181.
Apply for a Seniors Groups Grant
Are you part of a local seniors group? Applications for Brimbank’s Seniors Groups Grants Program 2017/2018 open on Tuesday 10 October and close on Friday 10 November.
Brimbank seniors groups are encouraged to apply for either:
- A Seniors Establishment Grant – offering a grant of up to $700 to support new and emerging seniors groups to help with the costs of becoming incorporated, public liability insurance and general running costs.
- A Seniors Operational Grant – offering up to $600 to registered seniors groups to support the day-to-day operating costs of their groups. Grant guidelines and an application form will be sent to registered seniors groups in Brimbank.
For more information, a copy of the grant guidelines/application form, or help with applying, call Council on 9249 4000.
Have Your Say - Community Consultations
For more information, other upcoming sessions, and to give feedback, please visit our Have Your Say page.
Community Safety Forums
Naming Sunvale Community Park
What do you think of plans to officially name Sunshine’s most anticipated park – “Sunvale Community Park”. Visit our Have Your Say page or drop in to your nearest Customer Service Centre. Submissions close on Thursday 26 October 2017.
Help Shape the Future of Sydenham Park
Join the Sydenham Park Master Plan Steering Committee and help develop a new plan for the 231 hectare park between the Calder Highway, Jackson Creek and the Maribyrnong River.
Interested? Put in an Expression of Interest by Tuesday 24 October. To apply visit our Have Your Say page or drop in to your local Customer Service Centre.
Sunshine Health and Education Precinct (SHWEP)
We're setting up a SHWEP Strategic Plan Reference Group to ensure future growth is well coordinated and responds to the ideas of St Albans residents.
Interested in being on the group? Put in an Expression of Interest by Tuesday 14 November. Forms can be submitted online at our Have Your Say page.
Community Information Sessions will be held in St Albans on
- Thursday 19 October 5.30-8pm,
- Saturday 21 October 10am-1pm
- Wednesday 25 October 5.30-8pm.
If you want to attend, RSVP by 5pm on Monday 16 October, by phone 9249 4327 or by email at email@example.com.
Meet Your Councillors
- Saturday 14 October, 1–6pm
St Albans Moon Lantern Festival, Victoria Square, St Albans
- Sunday 22 October, 1-4pm
Sunshine Lantern Festival, Hampshire Road, Sunshine
Further drop in sessions are planned in St Albans, Sunshine, Keilor and Derrimut in October and November. For more information visit Have Your Say.
Public Notice - Annual Report for 2016-2017
The 2016-2017 Annual Report will be considered at the Ordinary Council Meeting at 7pm on Tuesday 17 October, at the Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, Level 1, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine. All are welcome.
View the Annual Report 2016-2017. If you want a copy of the Annual Report when it's printed contact us on 9249 4000.
Expressions of Interest - Audit and Risk Management Committee
Council is looking to appoint an experienced Independent Member, for a term of one to three years. Submissions close Monday 23 October. For more information visit our Have Your Say page.
Ordinary Council MeetingThe
Ordinary Council Meetings are held the third Tuesday of the month (except December). Meetings are open to the public and meeting agenda and minutes can be found at Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes.
Brimbank City Council is offering more and more online services. By registering an account you will create your own personal dashboard for easy pre-populated access to a range of services.
Whether it’s lodging a service request, paying your rates, paying your pet registration, or submitting a planning application you’ll get what you want done easier and faster on the Brimbank website. To register, please visit brimbank.vic.gov.au.