Get the Buzz - News and What's On, Tuesday 9 January 2018
• Get In2Tennis in January
• St Albans Lunar New Year Festival
• Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony 2018
Get In2Tennis in January
Give tennis a go this January and take part in In2Tennis – a 10-day program of free tennis events at local tennis clubs. The program runs from Friday 19 January to Sunday 28 January 2018. The award-winning program was a hit last year with more than 500 community members taking part.
This year the 10-day program coincides with the Australian Open. All up there are 36 activities, including the official opening event on Friday 19 January from 11am to 3pm right outside the Brimbank Community and Civic Centre on Hampshire Road, Sunshine.
Ten local tennis clubs will host events for all ages including:
- Hot Shots – A tennis intro program for five to 12-year-olds. Uses smaller racquets, nets, courts and softer balls.
- Cardio Tennis – Cardio Tennis is all about quick fitness and great tunes. No tennis skills necessary. Suitable for anyone over 12.
- Mums and Bubs (NEW for 2018) – A fun and safe tennis program for mums and bubs. A chance to get fit and have fun while your child plays with a range of toys on the next court. All ages welcome.
- Free Tennis Court Use – Book a court to play with friends (BYO racquets and balls) at no charge, at selected times and venues.
There will also be a Blind Sports Victoria Demonstration at Delahey Tennis Club on 27 January from 2-3pm.
To view the full program and book your spot visit brimbank.vic.gov.au/in2tennis
If you don’t have Internet access, call Council on 9249 4000 to ask for a hard copy booking form.
In2Tennis is supported by Tennis Victoria and sponsored by ANZ.
St Albans Lunar New Year Festival
One of Brimbank’s biggest annual events, the 21st St Albans Lunar New Year will include food, stalls, rides, entertainment, fireworks and much more. The festival welcomes the Year of the Dog.
The official opening is at 1pm and a fireworks display will light up the sky at around 9.30pm.
Organised by St Albans Business Group Association, the festival is proudly supported by Brimbank City Council.
- Sunday 14 January 2018, 10am-10pm
- Alfreida Street, St Albans
For more info email email@example.com.
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony 2018
We are holding an Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony on 26 January 2018. 150 residents of Brimbank will take the pledge in becoming our newest Australian citizens.
Residents are most welcome to join us for a community barbecue from 8am. Citizenship Ceremony 10am-12noon
- Friday 26 January 2018, Citizenship Ceremony 10am-12noon
- Kevin Wheelahan Gardens, 50 Devonshire Road, Sunshine
- No charge
For further information visit brimbank.vic.gov.au or call 9249 4000.
Consultations - Brimbank Settlement Action Plan 2018-2021
Help shape the development of a plan that seeks the long-term successful, sustainable settlement of migrants, refugees, and asylum seekers. Share your thoughts online:
- Email comments directly to Brimbank’s Diversity and Inclusion Planning Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Complete the online questionnaire at our Have Your Say page; or
- Make an individual appointment: Appointments can be made with the Diversity and Inclusion Officer by calling 9249 4000.
Submissions close Friday 12 January 2018.
Clarke St Still Open for Business
A reminder that it’s business as usual for shops at Clarke Street Sunshine, despite the construction of the new VicRoads Regional Office nearby.
Need to visit the shops? Parking is available nearby, including at the Brimbank Multi-Deck Car Park, which offers first three hours free parking. Or stroll down if you’re in the area.
Ordinary Council Meeting
Ordinary Council Meetings are held the third Tuesday of the month. Meetings are open to the public and meeting agenda and minutes can be found at Council Meeting Agendas and Minutes.
Brimbank City Council is offering more and more online services. By registering an account you will create your own personal dashboard for easy pre-populated access to a range of services.
Whether it’s lodging a service request, paying your rates, paying your pet registration, or submitting a planning application you’ll get what you want done easier and faster on the Brimbank website. To register, please visit brimbank.vic.gov.au.