Have your say on Brimbank’s treasured culture
Opportunities for the community to enjoy a treasured cultural life are a vital part of Brimbank Council’s vision for the city.
Community members are invited to comment on the Draft Cultural Strategy 2018-2022 that will guide Council’s response to cultural vitality in Brimbank.
Mayor of Brimbank, Cr Margaret Giudice said Brimbank is one of the most diverse and culturally rich communities in Victoria and has a proud history of supporting arts and culture activities.
“Cultural and creative activities help us celebrate, reflect, innovate, learn, challenge and explore. They build our social cohesion, local economy and pride of place.
“The draft strategy outlines how Council will support cultural development in the community,” Cr Giudice said.
Some of the priorities identified in the draft strategy include:
- Participation and collaboration
- Leadership and partnerships
- Creative industries
- Space and places
The draft strategy also identified five cultural precincts in Brimbank where arts and cultural activities can co-locate at facilities such as libraries and community centres including:
- Deer Park, based around the Hunt Club Community and Arts Centre
- Sunshine, including the art spaces, public art and library
- St Albans, based around St Albans Community Centre (STACC) and the Bowery Theatre
- Keilor, based around the Keilor Hub (contains arts spaces, community facilities and library)
- Sydenham, based around the library and neighbourhood house.
“As a Council, we’re pleased to endorse the draft strategy for public exhibition and I encourage the community to provide their feedback,” Cr Giudice said.
The Draft Cultural Strategy 2018-2022 is available to view and provide feedback on our Have Your Say page and Council’s customer service centres, libraries and neighbourhood houses or call 9249 4000.
Submissions are open for four weeks commencing Friday 21 September and close on Friday 19 October 2018.